Maryland legalized sports betting in November 2021 after voters approved a ballot referendum.
Sports wagering officially launched in December 2021 with the opening of physical sportsbooks at casinos and racetracks. Maryland online sportsbooks followed shortly after in January 2022.
Maryland generated over $2.8 billion in sports bets in its first full year, making it a top 10 market nationwide. The rapid growth has led to intense competition among sportsbooks.
Here, we will take a look at the top 5 operators making an impact in Maryland.
Top Five Most Popular Sportsbooks in Maryland
- FanDuel Maryland has quickly become the leader in the state thanks to an easy-to-use mobile app, competitive odds, and strong sign-up bonuses and promotions. The sportsbook accounted for over $600 million of the $2.8 billion wagered in Maryland so far.
- DraftKings Maryland has leveraged its daily fantasy sports dominance to become FanDuel’s chief rival in the state. Known for innovative betting options, DraftKings has grabbed over 25% market share in Maryland.
- BetMGM Maryland has carved out a solid #3 position through its integration with live casinos like MGM National Harbor. Along with its user-friendly app, this omnichannel approach has resonated with Marylanders.
- Caesars Maryland brings strong brand recognition to Maryland from its casino properties and has invested heavily in launching its sportsbook in the state. Its Rewards program also helps attract bettors.
- PointsBet Maryland sold its US interests to Fanatics but distinguished itself with unique offerings like its Name a Bet feature. This allows bettors to request wagers not already offered and it seems to be a big hit with Old Line State consumers.
In this crowded market, operators have to stand out in some way to gain a larger piece of the pie.
Maryland’s top sportsbooks have used strong technology, promotions, and branding to do just that, and it’s up to the rest of the sportsbooks to either step up their game or get left behind.